In September of 1952, the J.C. Faucette Sr. family was gathered at the home of Mr. Sam D. Faucette. A discussion arose concerning the need of and a desire for a church in the immediate community. The J.C. Faucette Jr. family promptly offered a tract of land for the church site, as well as $100.00 in cash to get the project going. Later, Mrs. Inez Faucette contacted the Mount Zion Baptist Association for assistance in furthering this endeavor. Reverend E. Cleve Wilkie, the current Associational Missionary, suggested that the group begin holding services in a cinder block building owned by Mr. & Mrs. Lacy Lashley. With the sponsorship of Swepsonville Baptist Church, services were conducted at that site until a church sanctuary was completed at the corner of Dodson Road and Edgewood Church Road, the church’s present location. There were 48 charter members.
Through the years, thirteen pastors have been called to lead the good people of Edgewood Baptist Church, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Reverend W.A. Smith was called as the first pastor, and our current pastor is Dr. Brad Harrison.
It was our great pleasure to observe Edgewood’s “Golden Jubilee” in September 2002, celebrating 50 years of God’s goodness and grace to His people. Reverend E. Paul West, retired pastor of Swepsonville Baptist Church, was our guest speaker, and it was a particular joy to have 6 of the 48 original charter members in attendance.
It is our prayer as people of God that He will be uplifted, glorified, magnified, and proclaimed throughout our community and the world as we yield to His direction and His will for our church. And for 50 years from now may those that remain say that the congregation of Edgewood Baptist Church was a group of believers who loved their Lord and brought glory to His Name by loving their neighbors as themselves.